Wesleyan College is located on a 200-acre wooded campus in residential north Macon (Bibb County), a community of 150,000. In addition to the academic and residential buildings the campus includes tennis courts, a softball field, a soccer field, a fitness center, walking trails, an arboretum, Foster Lake, and an equestrian center. The buildings are of Georgian brick design, attractively situated on the large wooded and landscaped campus.
Many buildings on Wesleyan's historic campus date back to the early 1900s; therefore, any buildings constructed before 1977 may not be fully accessible. Students with mobility impairments should consult with the Assistant Director of Academic Resources, who serves as the Disability Resources Coordinator to discuss campus accessibility. Wesleyan is committed to full access for all students and will modify the location of classes, events, etc. being held in inaccessible facilities to accommodate the needs of students with disabilities.
This three-story Georgian brick building was constructed in 1968 and dedicated to the memory of Lucy Lester Willet, class of 1881. Circulation, Reserves, current Periodicals, and Video-to-Go are housed on the first floor. The Academic Resource Center (ARC), including the Reference Center, Writing Center, and Testing Center, the Candy and Malcolm Burgess Design Lab and the Green Knight Classroom are also housed on the main floor of Willet Library. Computers to access the library catalogue and electronic databases are available on the first and second floors. The second floor contains the reference collection, bound periodicals, a computer classroom and study room. The third floor contains the circulating collection of books, the Archives, and study rooms.
The main floor and second floor lounge of Willet Library are accessible 24 hours a day. Students, faculty and staff who would like 24-hour access must have a sticker on their ID card.
LIB 101, the Green Knight Classroom, has video conferencing equipment, a green screen, and 2 production level video cameras. Access to this room may be obtained through a key at the circulation desk. Regular course meetings may be scheduled in these rooms.
LIB 205 is a smart classroom located on the second floor of the library. The room is equipped with twenty computers, a Sympodium, VCR/DVD, sound system, and projector.
The Georgia Room, located on the thirdfloor, houses the library's Special Collections, with books about Georgia and by Georgia authors, including many volumes presented in 1931 by the late Judge Orville A. Park. The room also contains items of rare Americana donated by the late Tracy W.McGregor, a General Special Collections, and items significant to Wesleyan College history. Exhibit space related to the Soong Sisters, Madame H. H. Kung (Soong Ei-Ling), Madame Sun Yat Sen (Soong Ching-Ling), and Madame Chiang Kai-Shek (Soong May-Ling) is in the room as well.
The Confucius Institute, located on the first floor of the library, is a public institution aligned with the Government of the People's Republic of China that aims to promote Chinese language and culture, support local Chinese teaching, and facilitate cultural exchange. The Confucius Institute contains exhibit space for some of the gifts and memorabilia related to the Soong Sisters, Madame H. H. Kung (Soong Ei-Ling), Madame Sun Yat Sen (Soong Ching-Ling), and Madame Chiang Kai-Shek (Soong May-Ling), as well as other art work and memorabilia from China.
Presented to the College by the late Judge John Slaughter Candler of Atlanta in memory of his parents, Samuel and Martha Beall Candler, the Candler Building was designed by renowned architect Phillip Shutze and is an outstanding example of Georgian architecture. Originally used as the College library, the building was renovated in 1971 as the Candler Alumnae Center and currently houses the Office of Alumnae Affairs, the Office of Institutional Advancement, the Oval Hall, and the Benson Room. The Benson Room is equipped with projector and wireless (Wi-Fi) network.
Tate Hall. Tate Hall, made possible by a gift from the late Colonel Sam Tate of Tate, Georgia, contains classrooms for communication, women's studies, English, history, modern languages, religion, philosophy. The President's Office and other administrative offices are located in Tate Hall. It contains seven SMART classrooms with projection equipment and wireless (WI-FI) network.
Munroe Science Center houses the biological sciences, chemistry, nursing, and experimental psychology. Built in 2006, the 42,000 square foot building was made possible by the generosity of the Munroe sisters and their families: Julia Munroe Woodward, Margaret Munroe Thrower, and Mary Gray Munroe Cobey. The Munroe science center boasts numerous teaching laboratories, two classrooms, modern research labs for faculty-student research, animal facilities, a greenhouse, an astronomy platform, and the Center for Women in Science and Technology. On the west wing of Munroe is the nursing wing which houses the nursing classroom and state of the art nursing simulation lab. Munroe has WI-FI access throughout and over twenty classrooms and labs with projection and SMARTboard equipment.
Taylor Hall, named in honor of the late Robert Jenks Taylor of Macon, underwent a multimillion dollar renovation in 2009-2010. The facility houses laboratories and classrooms for education, physics, psychology, and business. The building also contain the Peyton Anderson Amphitheatre. Taylor contains offices, a computer lab, physics and psychology labs, a student lounge, and numerous SMART classrooms with SMARTboards and projection equipment to enhance the learning experience. The education wing features a model science education classroom/laboratory, a model early childhood classroom, and the Wesleyan Center for Educational Renewal.
The Olive Swann Porter Student Life Center (OSP) is a memorial to the wife of benefactor James Hyde Porter, a trustee of Wesleyan College for many years. Mr. Porter furnished the beautiful foyer in 1942 to his exact specifications. Throughout the building, lovely antiques and paintings from Wesleyan's extensive collections can be found. The building underwent a major renovation beginning in the year 2000. Adding to its existing beauty, an impressive new lobby area that encompasses the three levels of the Olive Swann Porter center creates a grand entrance. Many offices of the Division of Student Affairs are housed in the Olive Swann Porter Student Life Center to include Counseling Services, Diversity and Inclusion, Health Services, International Student Services, Residence Life, Student Activities, Center for Career Development and Office of the Dean of Students. The Dining Hall and Hurdle Cafe, Wesleyan College Campus Store and Post Office, and Lane Center for Service and Leadership can also be found in OSP.
The Burden Parlor, a formal parlor named in honor of the late Minnie Bass Burden and her husband, Richard Ferdillius Burden, was furnished in 1942 by Octavia Burden Stewart and her husband, T.J. Stewart, a trustee of the College. Mrs. Stewart redecorated the room in 1973, and her niece and nephew, Ann Maria and Richard B. Domingos, refurbished the parlor in 1994. It is an attractive space for College functions.
The Campus Store, which carries Wesleyan souvenirs, clothing, and gifts, is located on the ground floor. Next to the Campus Store is the College Post Office which offers a full range of postal services for the Wesleyan community.
Also included on the ground floor are the Belk Student Leadership Suites where student clubs and organizations maintain nine offices and a meeting room. Upstairs from this area are eight music rooms and a large student senate room.
The Reginald Roberts Trice and Frankie Raines Trice Conference Room, named in honor of Wesleyan's former board chair and his lovely wife for their contributions and enhancement of campus life, is a welcome addition to the campus. It is utilized for both College and community functions.
The Office of Public Relations, the student publications room, the Office of Computing and Information Resources, the Campus Police Office and the Office of Student Affairs are housed in this building.
One of the most distinctive additions to the building is the portico that extends from the ground floor lobby out to the fountain area. The portico not only lends beauty to the building but also provides a perfect location for outdoor events.
The stately Anderson Dining Hall seats three hundred and is distinguished by the vaulted ceiling, large arched windows, and unusual matching mantels graced with landscape murals. The windows open on the beautiful, columned Mount Vernon Porch. The Anderson Dining Hall was named in honor of the late William Dickson Anderson, former chair of the Board of Trustees, and his wife, Linda McKinney Anderson, class of 1893. The dining hall is open to students, faculty, staff, and their guests.
The Manget Dining Room seats eighty. In 1964, the Trustees named the room in honor of Jennie Loyall Manget, class of 1912, and director of the Alumnae Association from 1924 until 1947, and later a trustee. Exquisitely furnished and decorated, its focal point is the handsome 18th-century Waterford crystal chandelier and sconces from the Callanwolde House of Atlanta, a gift of Mrs. Charles Howard Candler, Sr.
The Hurdle Café, dedicated in 2001 to the College Chaplain, William Hurdle, is open extended hours. A popular place for students to gather, the Café also provides high-speed wireless (WI-FI) access to the Internet.
This building, completed in 1956, serves as a cultural center for the campus and community and as a facility for the Division of Fine Arts. In addition to classrooms, offices, and studios, it includes:
The Porter Family Memorial Auditorium- used for theatre productions, student programs, special events, and the Macon Concert Association. It has a seating capacity of 1,129.
The Cowles Myles Collier Art Gallery-established by the late Mrs. Georgie Collier Comer in memory of her father, a renowned artist. The east wing is used for several traveling exhibits each year; the west wing houses Wesleyan's permanent collection.
The Goodwyn-Candler-Panoz Organ-The 1925 Aeolian organ was originally built and installed in the home of the late Asa G. Candler, Jr. of Atlanta. It was presented to Wesleyan by Mr. Candler in honor of his wife and installed in Porter Auditorium in 1958. The organ underwent extensive work in 1989 thanks to a gift from Elsie Lowden Maxwell Hambright '34 in memory of her grandmother, Bell Pound Goodwyn, class of 1874. In 2008 the organ was completely renovated and additions were made to the instrument by the Schantz Organ Company of Orville, OH. The organ contains 73 ranks of pipes and has a four-manual console; it is the largest musical instrument in middle Georgia.
The Grassmann-Porter Studio Theatre, an intimate, flexible studio for theatre classes and productions, opened in 1994 through the generous support of the Grassmann Trust and the Porter Family Foundation. It was recently awarded a second Grassmann grant to enhance its technical capabilities.
The chapel is the newest addition to campus with the oldest history. For more than 100 years, the first Pierce Chapel was an integral part of college life at the original campus on College Street. The new Pierce Chapel bears the same name to honor Wesleyan's first president Bishop George Foster Pierce and the many members of his family who have continued to lead and serve the College. The chapel has a capacity of about 300 in the sanctuary, which is used primarily for worship services and occasionally as a venue for recitals, concerts, and special events. The Corn Center, downstairs provides meeting space for faith-based programs, campus groups, and the Chaplain's office.
Named by the trustees in honor of the late James Hyde Porter, a Wesleyan benefactor, the gymnasium includes a heated swimming pool, a weight room, and a gymnasium floor marked for all indoor activities. There is seating space for 700 spectators. Classrooms, dressing rooms, dance studio, and shower baths are included. Near the gymnasium is an intramural athletic field; additional fields and athletics facilities are located at the Mathews Athletic Complex.
Donated to the College by Trustee George Mathews in memory of his sister, Mary Ann Mathews Pease '44, the facility includes soccer and softball fields and tennis courts. The center provides weekly yoga, tai chi, ZUMBA, cycle, cardio and strength training classes, and more.
The Equestrian Center located north of the lake and near Bradley House hosts the college's two IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association) teams. The center includes two riding arenas, turnout paddocks, a 24 stall barn, and classroom. The center provides instruction to equestrian team members as well as students enrolled in the Fundamentals of Riding courses at Wesleyan. Instruction is also offered to the Macon community through the Community Horsemanship Program. The center's academic program is the Equine-Assisted Therapy minor.
The Valeria McCullough Murphey Art Building, built in 1964, is named in honor of Valeria McCullough Murphey '48, a Trustee of the College from 1980 through 1990 and Chair of the Board of Trustees from 1986 to 1989. It contains 10,000 square feet of floor space designed exclusively for the teaching of the studio arts, art history, and computer graphic design. Facilities are included for the teaching of art history, drawing, painting, design, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, photography, and related subjects. It is also the location of the Frances and Dennie McCrary Art Gallery.
Wesleyan has seven residence halls, which provide a choice of comfortable, convenient living arrangements for students. Each security-controlled building is fully air conditioned and computer-networked, with visitor lounges, study parlors, computer printers, and vending areas.
Elizabeth Turner Corn Hall North and Ernest and Pauline Pierce Corn Hall South were opened in 1999. Each of these three-story buildings, located on campus at the corner of Tucker and Forsyth Roads, contains private furnished rooms (each with private bath) arranged in four-person suites and sharing a fully equipped kitchen, laundry facilities, and fully furnished living/dining room.
Hightower Hall, named in honor of the late Julian and Grace Laramore Hightower, was completed in 1963. Mrs. Hightower was a 1920 graduate of Wesleyan and later a trustee of the College. Hightower Hall accommodates students in two-room suites with connecting baths.
Banks Hall is named in honor of the late William Nathaniel Banks and Mary Evelyn Wright Banks '14 of Grantville, Georgia, who were trustees and long-time benefactors. Banks Hall accommodates students in a traditional corridor-style residence hall with common bathrooms on each floor.
Persons Hall is named in memory of Mary Barry Persons 1869, in appreciation of a substantial gift to Wesleyan's endowment funds by her two sons, Robert T. and G. Ogden Persons of Forsyth, Georgia. Persons Hall accommodates students in two-room suites with connecting baths. The building was fully renovated in 1998.
Wortham Hall is named in memory of Nettie Dunlap Wortham 1875, a trustee at the time of her death in 1939, who left half of her large estate to Wesleyan's endowment funds as a memorial to her husband, Henry M. Wortham. Wortham Hall was fully renovated in 1999 and accommodates students in two-room suites with connecting baths.
Huckabee Hall. Huckabee Hall houses the Office of Admission. Named in memory of the parents of Leo Huckabee, a former trustee, it was opened in 1957, and was furnished by Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Willet in memory of Mr. Willet's mother, Lucy Lester Willet, class of 1881.
Jones Hall, named in honor of C. Baxter and Carolyn Cater Jones, was completed in 1959. Mrs. Jones is a graduate of Wesleyan and Mr. Jones rendered valuable services as a trustee and College attorney over a long period of time. As a home for the Lane Center for Community Engagement and Service, a Conference Room, and Overnight Suite accommodations on the first floor, Jones offers housing for students, outside groups, and camps on the second and third floors. Situated on a hill with a beautiful garden beside Foster Lake, it is a popular wedding and outdoor event venue.
The Wesleyan College Arboretum was established in 1996 as an ecological study area, wildlife refuge, and recreation resource for the college. The arboretum comprises 100 acres of mixed pine and hardwood forest and lies within the boundaries of Wesleyan's suburban Rivoli campus. The Dice R. Anderson Cabin, built in 1938 and restored in 1990, the Ellen Ann Edenfield Pavilion, built in 2011, and the five-acre Foster Lake serve as rustic focal points for classes, meetings, and special events. The Anderson Cabin was named in honor of the late Dr. Dice R. Anderson president of the College 1931-1941.
Foster Lake Fishing Policy
Fishing in Wesleyan’s Foster Lake is permitted only to Wesleyan students and employees and their families and friends. While fishing, students and employees should be prepared to present their Wesleyan College ID card. Family members and friends of students and employees may fish only when accompanied by their Wesleyan student or employee who is in possession of a valid Wesleyan ID.
Questions regarding fishing in Foster Lake should be directed to Campus Police at 478-757- 5145.
Given to the College by the Bradley Foundation of Columbus, Georgia, in 1954 and beautifully renovated in 1997, the President's home is situated on an estate adjoining the campus.
The historic Porter House was moved to campus on Tucker Road in 2013. The House serves as meeting and event space, including memorials to the lives and contributions of James Hyde and Olive Swann Porter.
Wesleyan College is privileged to steward many arts and cultural events and share them with the community. Most are free and open to the public. Wesleyan art galleries are open M-F 1:30 – 5:00 PM and on Wesleyan Market Saturdays from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM.View More
Tour our beautiful 200-acre campus featuring Georgian architecture, lush green spaces, recreational facilities, residence halls, and worship center.Tour Now
Wesleyan College is home to five NCAA Division III sports: soccer, basketball, volleyball, tennis, and softball. In addition, we offer an award-winning Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) Equestrian program.Learn More