Celebrating Wesleyan College’s
world-renowned global reach, our diverse student body, and our commitment to
educating the next generation of female world leaders, we have established the
Wesleyan College Global Scholars Program (WCGSP). The Program seeks qualified
high school graduates from all across America who are eager to participate in a
scholarship program that prepares them to meet the challenges of an
interconnected world and global economy. Through WCGSP, students develop
leadership and problem-solving skills and build intercultural and linguistic
Awarded full tuition, Wesleyan Global Scholars will learn through an international immersion experience that serves as a microcosm of the world. While on the Wesleyan College campus, they live and learn with students from places like Nepal, Australia, China, Rwanda, Korea, and Sweden. They study with visiting international scholars, artists, and experts. They have a Global Scholars advisor who assists in planning their individualized course of study, plus they have an opportunity to attend Global Scholar Seminars designed to help synthesize their other courses.
After successful completion of their sophomore year, Wesleyan Global Scholars receive up to $3,500 for an international study experience that might be an internship with the U.S. State Department in Washington or with the Women’s Federation in Guangzhou, China. Or it could be a semester studying in Salamanca, Spain; Seoul, South Korea; or Belfast, Northern Ireland. The choice is theirs.
In return, Global Scholars are asked to share their research with the Wesleyan community, to serve as international ambassadors for the College, and to help ease the cultural transition for Wesleyan’s international exchange students. They also work with AXIS, Wesleyan’s international student organization, to develop programming to promote intercultural learning.
To qualify as a Global Scholar, a student must be academically strong, demonstrate a passion for connecting their education to the world, and have the capacity to be an effective ambassador for Wesleyan College. All Global Scholars are required to live on campus. Students meeting the selection criteria will be invited to compete at Wesleyan’s Scholarship Day, February 21, 2015, where faculty will select the scholarship recipients.
for Wesleyan Global Scholars:
• Minimum of 1150 on the SAT (critical reading and math) or a composite score greater than 25 on the ACT
• A cumulative high school GPA greater than 3.5
• Be a first-year student and U.S. citizen
• Students invited to compete at Scholarship Day will be required to submit a letter of interest, indicating:
• experiences that sparked interest in becoming a scholar of the world
• previous travel experience outside the U.S.
• plans for major(s) and minor(s) at Wesleyan College
• plans for incorporating global themes and/or international travel/study into the college experience
GLOBAL SCHOLAR BENEFITS
• Full-tuition scholarship for four years at Wesleyan College
• A Global Scholars advisor
• An award of up to $3,500 for a travel/study experience. Students who compete in a national Model UN conference may use up to $500 of the $3,500 award for travel expenses to the conference.
WITH A GLOBAL REACH
Global Scholars at Wesleyan College receive full tuition plus up to $3,500 for an international study abroad experience.
Apply today to be a Global Scholars
Wesleyan College's first cohort of Global Scholars, 2015. Left to right: Sharmaine Fisher (Lovejoy, GA), Chelsea Robbins (West Palm Beach, FL), Asia Cooks (Cartersville, GA), Ann Latimer (McDonough, GA), Gabriela Bravo (Alpharetta, GA), Abbie Price (Wildwood, GA), Kalia Hartley (Portsmouth, VA), and Juliana Bedson (Peachtree, GA). Not pictured: Zoie Turner (Spring, Texas).